from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Examination of a cadaver to determine or confirm the cause of death. Also called necropsy, postmortem, postmortem examination.
- n. A critical assessment or examination after the fact: a post-election campaign autopsy.
- transitive v. To subject to an autopsy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dissection performed on a cadaver to find possible cause(s) of death.
- n. An after-the-fact examination, especially of the causes of a failure.
- v. To perform an autopsy on.
- v. To perform an after-the-fact analysis of, especially of a failure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Personal observation or examination; seeing with one's own eyes; ocular view.
- n. Dissection of a dead body, for the purpose of ascertaining the cause, seat, or nature of a disease; a post-mortem examination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A seeing for one's self; personal ocular observation, inspection, or examination. Specifically
- n. In pathology and anatomy, dissection and inspection of a dead body to discover the cause of death, or the site and character of the disease of which the person died; post-mortem examination; a post-mortem.
- To make a post-mortem examination of; perform an autopsy on.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. perform an autopsy on a dead body; do a post-mortem
- n. an examination and dissection of a dead body to determine cause of death or the changes produced by disease
URIBE: Your honor, I would just bring up the fact that whether or not that was a condition of these, of the agreement, whether or not that's used for the term autopsy photo or refers to the autopsy photos in the report.
The term autopsy is intrinsic to the resources provided and should lead to consistent conversions.
The term autopsy, derived from Greek, essentially means to see for oneself.
Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham sent condolences to the Travolta family and said the autopsy is a formality the country requires in cases of sudden death to rule out foul play.
The word autopsy comes from the Greek “to see for oneself”; as Vesalius learned to see for himself, he could no longer force Galen’s mystical visions to fit his own.
An autopsy is planned for later this week, with an official LAPD investigation also underway.
They are professional and standard creating, analyzing past life, as an autopsy is to breathing.
Interesting that Jordanian born Zarqawi is supposed to have an artificial leg, but NO mention in autopsy?
Should a dog die during the Iditarod, a mandatory autopsy is done on the spot.
July 29: Jack Shaw’s autopsy is “inconclusive” pending more toxicology reports.