from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A snorting, joyful laugh or chuckle.
- transitive v. To utter a chortle or express with a chortle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
- v. To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. A word coined by Lewis Carroll (Charles L. Dodgson), and usually explained as a combination of chuckle and snort.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To exclaim exultingly, with a noisy chuckle: a vaguely suggestive word used in the first passage quoted, and since taken up by other writers in the sense defined.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soft partly suppressed laugh
- v. laugh quietly or with restraint
Although manteau = cloak and portmanteau = carry + cloak, "portmanteau word" was a coinage by Lewis Carroll, to refer to words like "chortle" chuckle + snort and so called because it resembled the Gladstone bag style of portmanteau, which has two equal compartments that fasten together in the middle.
I love that crazy guy who is sometimes on the bus who has a laugh that actually might fit the word "chortle".
He had to say "chortle" at the end to signify that that was a joke.
Dan Colen responds at disjointed length in comments, Dan is seriously hung up on the word "chortle".
When I indicate a "chortle", I am indeed chortling ... living proof of this has been captured on video, at the link above.
Kind of hard for a critic to say much beyond a chortle of self-recognition
But it seems a bit of a stretch for Prime Minister José Sócrates, a candidate for re-election on June 5, to chortle that the bailout is "a big success."
I wish you guys could do my happy dance with me and chant "oh yeah ... oh yeah ..." and chortle "woo woo, woo wooo" in a high pitched sing song-y voice.
I was always amused by the vegetarians who would ask for "carne guisada without the meat .." (chortle!) 11: 02 AM tbsamsel said ...
Sadly, his answer, wrapped in a chortle was, "Oh! Yeah, now you do!"