from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A time limit, as for payment of a debt or completion of an assignment.
- n. A boundary line in a prison that prisoners can cross only at the risk of being shot.
- transitive v. To govern by setting a time limit: "He was never going to be deadlined by a day, or even a month” ( New Yorker).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A date on or before which something must be completed.
- n. A guideline marked on a plate for a printing press.
- n. A line which doesn't move.
- n. A boundary around a prison.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the point in time at which something must be completed
* ` event Project deadline; 13.02.2010 ` - create new event with summary \ "Project deadline\" for 13.02.2010;
The deadline is short for getting an agreement, and I think one of the things that we have consistently said is that rhetoric of that kind does not positively contribute to an ultimate solution here.
Writer Ethan Brown was in the Miami studio where Tim stayed up all night waiting for the rapper to finish recording his verses in New York; in the end, they missed the label deadline for
Federal law states "that no repayment of an (extended federal benefits) overpayment may be required, and no deduction may be made, until a determination has been issued and an opportunity for a fair hearing has been given to the individual concerned, and the determination has become final." deadline is short for right to appeal
"The political dynamics are such that they can't close a deal before the deadline — and the deadline is the president arriving in Seoul," said Karan Bhatia, a former Bush administration trade official who negotiated the South Korea deal.
Second, when we finally do put our hands to the task, the deadline is almost upon us and we are forced to rush.
Now that the pressure of the deadline is a little bit alleviated, I think I can actually produce something really good for this anthology.
Since the deadline is approaching, you should probably do that now.
This deadline is a week from now, on Friday, June 19.
Walter Reed, an aging FBI analyst with medium security clearance, has had a three million dollar contract put on his head and the deadline is a day away.