from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action: guidelines for the completion of tax returns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A non-specific rule or principle that provides direction to action or behaviour.
- n. A plan or explanation to guide one in setting standards or determining a course of action.
- n. A light line, used in lettering, to help align the text.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a formal rule describing how a situation must be handled; -- used as a direction to administrators from superiors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a light line that is used in lettering to help align the letters
- n. a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action
- n. a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior
The term guideline instructions and its honorific equivalent personal instructions (zhel-lung, zhal-lung) are often translated as "oral instructions."
The no TV guideline is a good one for all of you who have kids that can name all of the Spongebob characters but can't name 5 U.S. Presidents.
Typical guideline is to divide the hook size by 3 to get the proper leader/tippet size - for a size 14 hook, 14/3 = 4.3, so go with either a 4x or 5x.
Since I'm doing this primarily for my own amusement my only guideline is that I have fun doing it.
A good guideline is to post enough to keep your page fresh, but there is such a thing as overkill!
My guideline is that if you have scientific fact pitted against anecdotes and information that has been proven wrong time and again then weed the latter.
This new guideline is very impactful to how companies will interact with physicians in the future.
The closest guideline is a Chicago Manual of Style stipulation that in philosophical and linguistic texts certain terms might be enclosed in single quote marks (14th edition, 6.67 and 6.74).
On the other hand, in this case the President went ahead with the conduct in the teeth of DOJ advice that it would be unlawful, and so this ordinary guideline is not quite on point.
The plan is a long-term guideline for possible capital projects and is required by the state.