from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To strip of priestly privileges and functions.
- transitive verb To deprive of the right to practice a profession.
- transitive verb To deprive of an honorary position.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Same as
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To divest of the frock, i. e. to deprive (a priest, minister, etc.) of official ecclesiastical authority; -- of church officials.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb literally to
divestof a frock
- verb figuratively to formally remove the rights and authority of a member of the
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb divest of the frock; of church officials
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
de- + frock 'vestment'
Sorry, no example sentences found.