from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Seeming beyond consolation; extremely dejected: synonym: depressed.
- adjective Cheerless; gloomy.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Destitute of comfort or consolation; sorrowful; hopeless or not expecting comfort; sad; dejected; melancholy.
- Causing or manifesting discomfort; sad or saddening; cheerless; gloomy: as, disconsolate news; a disconsolate look or manner.
- Synonyms Inconsolable, forlorn.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete Disconsolateness.
- adjective Destitute of consolation; deeply dejected and dispirited; hopelessly sad; comfortless; filled with grief.
- adjective Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective seemingly beyond
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective causing dejection
- adjective sad beyond comforting; incapable of being consoled
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
He would have gone moping about for years in disconsolate solitude, silent and sullen as a ghost, or would have rent the air with unavailing shrieks and lamentations.
"I knew I'd find you here," called a disconsolate voice, and Emma Dean appeared from behind a huge flowering bush.
Little wonder that the kind Duchess looked "disconsolate" in the middle of her content!
It seems to me you look kind of disconsolate this morning. "
Meanwhile, at Westminster Tube station, disconsolate penguins swathed in scarves waited in vain for a train to Stanmore.
I wandered around disconsolate, listless, and squinting.
By the time of the next pep rally, everyone's at each others throats and a disconsolate Coach Taylor can barely bring himself to utter the word "victory."
This remarkable venture combines memorable themes with striking ensemble-writing, dramatic brass and percussion sounds and a faintly disconsolate beauty, writes John Fordham
He arrived brimming with enthusiasm that was lost on his disconsolate squad.
Minor, a CNN Hero, tells the story of a woman who became disconsolate, barely able to get out of bed to care for her three kids and a newborn after her husband died in a fire.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.