from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A large flightless bird (Raphus cucullatus) with a hooked beak that inhabited the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean until it became extinct in the late 1600s.
- noun Informal One who is out-of-date, as in dress or ideas.
- noun Informal A stupid person; an idiot.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A recently extinct bird of Mauritius, Didus ineptus, the type of the family Dididæ and suborder Didi, now usually assigned to the order Columbæ.
- noun [This is the earliest known English mention of the bird.]
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) A large, extinct bird (
Didus ineptus), formerly inhabiting the Island of Mauritius. It had short, half-fledged wings, like those of the ostrich, and a short neck and legs; -- called also dronte. It was related to the pigeons.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A large, flightless
bird, Raphus cucullatus, related to the pigeon, that is now extinct (since the 1600s) and was native to Mauritius.
- noun figuratively A person or organisation which is very old or has very
old-fashionedviews or is not willing to change and adapt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun someone whose style is out of fashion
- noun extinct heavy flightless bird of Mauritius related to pigeons
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
This previously unpublished drawing of a dodo is an important and interesting addition to the known images of this iconic extinct bird.
Anyway, back to the dodos, the dodo is the “star” of the article about extinct birds at Wikipedia and the Coat of arms of Mauritius has a dodo!
Sad dodo is too sad, better keep only on the 3 previous emotions.
Anyway, the dodo is cute and I wanted to share it.
Update: as you can see, the dodo is back with images, finally!
He keeps six lovers, a time-travelling pet dodo from the past and a constantly inebriated brain.
March 26th, 2007 at 5: 11 am dodo is an exticnt animal. .i wish to hab more information about the exticnt … … … … … … …
The same learned authority suggests that dodo is a corruption of Dodaars, but, as will presently be seen, we herein think him mistaken.
Blue dodo from the removed article Is Blu-ray going the way of the dodo bird? from Home Media Magazine.
The dodo is the tragic symbol of bird extermination.