from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, consisting of, or forming a pictorial composition of human or animal figures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Representing by means of a figure; emblematic.
- adj. Figurative, not literal.
- adj. Of numbers, describing a geometrical figure.
- adj. Pertaining to a figure, shape.
- adj. Pertaining to (human) figures.
- adj. Figurate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Represented by figure or delineation; consisting of figures.
- adj. Figurate. See Figurate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Represented by figure or delineation; consisting of figures.
- In music, same as figurate, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. consisting of or forming human or animal figures
The coherent scenic space and figural focal points which remain are yet more densely encircled and perforated by painterly forces that counteract their legibility, leaving the viewing experience characteristically unstable.
This incised brass tray was described by its owner as a Benares tray, but it is thought the scalloped cavetto concave moulding and figural decoration mean it is more likely the work of the Jaipur school of art in Rajasthan, India, dating from 1890-1900.
New lines of bust-style banks and unarticulated figural banks will begin in 2008, blending detailed action-packed sculpts with traditional bank designs.
The disciplined artist allows the work itself to find what it will say; its meaning will develop "organically," not as the figural rendering of the artist's "intention."
This keenness for geometry grows out of a fascination with mathematics—initiated by Muslim Abbasid rulers 750-1258 and exemplified by a case with astrolabes as well as astronomical and astrological illustrations—and a rejection of figural imagery in religious settings.
Be sure to check out the pair of Art Deco figural sconces and the delightful 1950s Italian pottery bookends.
The critical topographies that these writers created are maps of ideology, figural territories within which social conflict and political antagonism are put into play.
Like marble, it comes in a variety of colors and often shows veins, flecks or other inclusions of black and other colors that, by tradition, have been avoided by figural sculptors aiming to achieve flawless expanses of human flesh.
A series of portraits pepper the book and have personalities so well articulated, the late figural artist Lucian Freud could not have hoped for more.
Very scarce and Exc. One of the best vintage figural Snoopy items.