from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or based on symptoms: symptomatic relief.
- adj. Constituting a symptom, as of a disease: the rash symptomatic of scarlet fever; a rise in unemployment symptomatic of a weakening economy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (of a disease) Showing symptoms.
- adj. Relating to, based on, or constituting a symptom.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to symptoms; happening in concurrence with something; being a symptom; indicating the existence of something else.
- adj. According to symptoms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of a symptom; indicative; in pathology secondary.
- According to symptoms: as, a symptomatic classification of diseases.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic or indicative of a disease
- adj. relating to or according to or affecting a symptom or symptoms
Leaders of the foundation said their goal is to do away with structural racism, which they described as symptomatic of the wide swath of racial disparities inherent in health outcomes for minorities, the achievement gap in the education system and the disproportionate number of minorities who are imprisoned.
So, you know, a lot of the treatment for this is what we call symptomatic treatment.
We probably could do a better job of diagnosing it in symptomatic patients, especially those who have been given the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome.
Sometimes shenpa is so strong that we're willing to die getting this short-term symptomatic relief.
(NSAIDs / NSAIAs) are effective for short-term symptomatic relief in patients with acute low back pain.
The three characteristics are what the psychologists describe as symptomatic of the classic psychopath.
Results of a recent clinical trial by a team of researchers in Madrid suggest that local steroid injection is just as effective as surgery for the long-term symptomatic relief of carpal tunnel syndrome - for a year, at least - and actually more effective over the short term.
Anthropological work in non-Western cultures suggests that there are many cases of behavior that psychiatry would classify as symptomatic of mental disorder, which are not seen within their own cultures as signs of mental illness.
Connected with forgetting are what Freud calls symptomatic acts.
Ted Karkus is trying to turn around ProPhase Labs Inc. When Karkus's hostile takeover finally succeeded in June 2009, he thought he was getting a promising treatment for something called symptomatic diabetic peripheral neuropathy.