from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who hustles: especially somebody who pretends to be an amateur at a game in order to win bets.
- n. A pimp.
- n. A prostitute.
- n. A male prostitute who sells his services to men.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who hustles; specifically, one who is active and energetic in business; a lively worker.
- n. A strong, heavy turning-chisel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
- n. a shrewd or unscrupulous person who knows how to circumvent difficulties
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The next, I wonder if your use of the word hustler in describing carom billiards players is appropriate, indeed what you intended to imply.
[That's hustlers as in people who are busy trying to get stuff done, not sex workers (i guess that meaning of the term hustler is more of a 60's or 70's thing)]
The pool hustler is an archetype of American's gritty underbelly.
See, here in the real world, the phrase "race hustler" is code for "I'd like to use the N-word but I'm a little too embarassed to do it in public."
A pretty boy Bacchus, in a Caravaggio painting, is at once the Greek god himself and an urban hustler from the streets.
She told me her brother was Michael, who was known as a hustler and was in a wheelchair, paralyzed, having been shot for gambling with loaded dice, according to the story.
The life of a hustler is one of seemingly glamour, but this film paints no picture of glory; it puts the drug life in its proper perspective by illustrating its cost in human suffering.
Alas, they don't take reprints or I would have contacted naomikritzer about sending along the one we sold to TOTU about a magic using hustler from a alternate history Britian that was still Roman.)
But in the African-American community, a hustler is a go-getter who makes their own way when they can't find one.
But Joe's start as a hustler is a mite rockier than anticipated.