from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
- n. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” ( Saturday Review).
- n. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'” ( New York).
- n. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” ( Joel Oppenheimer).
- transitive v. To publicize or promote, especially by extravagant, inflated, or misleading claims: hyped the new book by sending its author on a promotional tour.
- n. A hypodermic injection, syringe, or needle.
- n. A drug addict.
- transitive v. To stimulate with or as if with a hypodermic injection: "hyped the country up to a purposeless pitch” ( Newsweek).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Promotion or propaganda; especially, exaggerated claims.
- v. To promote heavily; to advertise or build up.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See hipe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner
- n. blatant or sensational promotion
And the hype is already building for Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, touted as a potential top-three pick in the April draft.
Ironically, all the hype is attracting people to Portland who want more than this.
And regardless of reviews or non fan going to see it out of curiosity, many will still be filling up the seats to see what the hype is all about.
Then, I'll finally get to see what all the hype is about.
And with the notoriety of Masterton, I thought it only fitting I should read one of his more heralded works this summer to see what all the hype is about.
He's pretty much what the hype is all about. he knows the game really well and is going to make them better.
Ron Charles on The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry: Beneath all this hype is a moderately entertaining story of three generations in a setting rich with Wiccan wisdom and deadly misogyny ....
I'm more willing to try something new now, and I'll buy a book just to find out what the hype is all about.
Been reading about them everywhere - I want to know what all the hype is about
Not even a single pic has been released yet the hype is already gigantic.