from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being uninformed or uneducated. Lack of knowledge or information.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being ignorant; the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.
- n. A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his duty to have.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being ignorant; want of knowledge in general, or concerning some particular matter; the condition of not being cognizant, informed, or aware.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the lack of knowledge or education
There is an ignorance that is sought on purpose, called _affected ignorance_ (in the Shakspearian sense of the word _affect_), as when a man will not read begging-letters, that he may not give anything away.
With regard to life's origin ignorance is depicted as a gap which will eventaully be overcome with evidence backing mainstream conceptions - the promissory note.
As for me personally, I think conservatives living in ignorance is pretty damn funny – so I would never try to change your mind.
He uses the term ignorance to include not only factual ignorance but also philosophical confusion, and ignorance about what kinds of things are good.
The arrogance of the use of the term ignorance here, requires no animadversion; but to suppose the greatest master, then in existence, of the English language, not acquainted with the meaning of the word, when he asked to be informed of the meaning attached to it by the individual making use of it, gives us some insight into the true character of the teacher.
Here the term ignorance implies that the underlying details of how an object can be persisted are
Thats not true, typically stress is caused becasue you DO understand, hence the term ignorance is bliss.
Do you think that your ignorance is a reasonable argument?
He says the increase of satellite channels - in particular Saudi religious ones - as well as the spread of poverty and what he calls ignorance have all boosted the fundamentalists' ranks.
Time for YOU to STFU your ignorance is an affront to all decent human beings