from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of inquiring.
- n. A question; a query.
- n. A close examination of a matter in a search for information or truth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of inquiring; a seeking of information by asking questions; interrogation; a question or questioning.
- n. Search for truth, information, or knowledge; examination of facts or principles; research; investigation; as, physical inquiries.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of inquiring; a seeking for information by asking questions; interrogation; a question or questioning.
- n. Search for truth, information, or knowledge; examination into facts or principles; research; investigation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Search for truth, information, or knowledge; examination into facts or principles: as, an inquiry into the truth of a report.
- n. The act of inquiring; a seeking for information by asking questions; interrogation; inquisition.
- n. A question; an interrogation; a query.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a search for knowledge
- n. a systematic investigation of a matter of public interest
- n. an instance of questioning
One aspect of all of this that begs further inquiry is the seeming ineptitude of the military planners.
This inquiry is a good indicator of interest in open source appropriate technology design.
To categorically deny this inquiry is absolutely wrong.
Naturally the inquiry is a little more delicate, and perhaps the answer is not quite so certain, but I think the suggestions which I am going to make are fairly reasonable.
A military inquiry is to investigate how Norgrove, a 36 year old aid worker, died.
I sincerely hope that inquiry is not too controversial coming from today´s rabid goat.
The Equality Commission thinks, “Uh, oh, a parliamentary inquiry is about to examine what it is we actually do …”
In response to an inquiry from a council member, Mr. Mattingly said the problems in this case aren't linked to financial cutbacks at the agency, but rather "poor practice."
Scientific inquiry is rarely conducted in a vacuum, so Scitable aims to connect people together in meaningful ways.
Actually, self-inquiry is the genie in the magic lamp.