from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unsupported assertion, usually by a person of standing; a dictum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- An unproved proposition that is accepted solely on the authority of someone who is known to have asserted it; a dogmatic statement; a dictum.
- An authority who makes such an assertion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An assertion without proof; a dogmatic expression of opinion; a dictum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unsupported dogmatic assertion
Not until he clothe himself in thunder, and make the lightning his girdle; till he wear the sun for a crown, the moon for a breastplate; the stars costly jewels encircling his brow, and the rainbow as his phylactery; not until his ipse dixit cause the immoveable pillars and imperishable foundations of the throne of the universe to crumble, and his breath extinguish the fires of immortality which glow in the bosom of Diety.