from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A container in which a substance is melted.
- noun A place or society in which immigrants of different cultures or races form a single culture.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A crucible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A vessel in which anything is melted; a crucible.
- noun (Sociology) A place where people of different backgrounds become similar in culture. The United States has often been referred to as a
melting pot, though the differences in cultures of recently arrived immigrants persists beyond the generation of immigrants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
crucible, or similar pot, used to fuse mixturesof metalsetc.
- noun idiomatic A place where many
divergentthings (often racesor cultures, but also talents) come together and are homogenized.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a vessel made of material that does not melt easily; used for high temperature chemical reactions
- noun an environment in which many ideas and races are socially assimilated
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.