from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Offensive An extremely small person who is otherwise normally proportioned.
- noun A small or miniature version of something.
- noun A class of small objects, as a class of very small sailboats or racing cars.
- adjective Miniature; diminutive.
- adjective Belonging to a type or class much smaller than what is considered standard.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A little midge; hence, something very small for its kind; a very small dwarf; also, a sprightly small child.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.), Local, U. S. A minute bloodsucking fly.
- noun A very diminutive person having normal proportions of the body parts; compare
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun originally A little
- noun loosely Any small
swarminginsect similar to the mosquito; a midge
- noun sometimes derogatory Any
- noun attributively That is a small version of something;
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective very small
- noun a person who is markedly small
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Kelly: You know, we did a segment earlier in the year on how little people find the term midget offensive, and so you can't say that anymore.
I knew that litle people didn't like the term midget, but what are we going to do now?
Speaking for the Midgets Rights Group of America (MRGA), I would like to inform you the term midget is quite offensive.
Jolé has spent hours volunteering with the nonprofit organization Little People of America, and she has written into her contracts a clause that says if the word "midget" is used she will walk.
However, after consulting the Oxford English Dictionary, I now believe that "midget" is a pretty insulting term.
Now the intellectual midget is using the name and avatar of a monster from Japanese horror flix
Insidious Prophet says: mgparrish, the mental midget is back.
This would only be funny if it was fighting midgets, because a quick-tempered brawling midget is Chuckles, my friend.
JHC, do you ever feel like both of our states are midgets, and in an attempt to get recognition as real states, your midget is standing on the shoulders of my midget, all underneath a cool looking white trench coat?
The Little People of America are attempting to get the word midget declared a slur.