from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The daughter of one's brother or sister or of the brother or sister of one's spouse.
- n. The illegitimate daughter of an ecclesiastic who has taken a vow of celibacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A daughter of someone’s sibling, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law; either the daughter of one's brother ("fraternal niece"), or of one's sister ("sororal niece").
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A relative, in general; especially, a descendant, whether male or female; a granddaughter or a grandson.
- n. A daughter of one's brother or sister, or of one's brother-in-law or sister-in-law. In modern English, this is the primary meaning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A grandchild, or more remote lineal descendant, whether male or female; specifically, a granddaughter.
- n. The daughter of one's brother or sister.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a daughter of your brother or sister
Where complete and fubftential jufttce has. been done* a new trial will not bo granted, though the judge who tried the caufe may have been miilaken in point of law; as where an action was brought by a perfon for a violent affault on her niece, who lived with her, per quod ferv. ami/it, and the judge held that the aunt Hood in loco parentis, whereon large damages were given; — the plaintiff undertaking to pay the damages to the niece* and the niece not to proceed in an action which
As far as I know, I am the only Lois Reibach in the world, but my niece is also lreibach and she has taken that identity in a number of online services.
Or maybe it's because my niece is a frickin 'grandmother at 44!
Bill, my niece is at Miami of O-- please do not wrassle with her.
Edith grew paler and thinner, and so quiet, that Aunt Rachel was quite pleased with what she called her niece's "becoming demeanour."
Cousin Molle goes to Cambridge and the niece is the only visitor.
His fatherly care and protection to her niece is the result of this.
My 4 year old niece is more articulate than Sarah Palin.
But when his 18-year-old niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires in the desolate wastelands outside, Priest breaks his sacred vows and ventures out to find her and seek vengeance upon those responsible, especially their brutal leader (Karl Urban).
My niece is going to college next year, and her parents are figuring it will cost them about $150,000 for the next four years.