from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Hanging down; dangling; suspended.
- adj. Projecting; overhanging.
- adj. Awaiting settlement; pending.
- n. Variant of pendant1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Dangling, drooping or suspended.
- adj. pending in various senses.
- adj. incomplete in some sense, such as lacking a finite verb.
- adj. Projecting over something; overhanging.
- n. Alternative spelling of pendant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Supported from above; suspended; depending; pendulous; hanging.
- adj. Jutting over; projecting; overhanging.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hanging; suspended; pendulous.
- Jutting over; overhanging; projecting: as, a pendent rock.
- In botany, hanging on its stalk or support with the apex pointed vertically downward, as a flower or fruit.
- A pendentive.
- n. See pendant.
- Grammatically incomplete. Also pendant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. branched lighting fixture; often ornate; hangs from the ceiling
- adj. held from above
- n. an adornment that hangs from a piece of jewelry (necklace or earring)
This week reaffirms that America's public discourse remains shrouded under a right-wing paradigm, for which many of us remain codependent enablers.
But people in codependent relationships can quickly spiral into destructive, dysfunctional patterns of behavior.
Hams and bacon hung pendent from the heavy rafters, and a line of dish towels and clean shirts behind the range suggested something of the modern cosy, or uncosy, corner.
_Lambrequin_: Originally a kind of pendent scarf or covering attached to
Their lips were less flabby and pendent, and their eye-teeth did not look so much like fangs.
The moisture that exhaled with his breath crusted his lips and mustache with pendent ice and formed a miniature glacier on his chin.
From bent wood pendent lights to sculptural steel plant walls, their portfolio is chalk full of inventive and inspiring pieces.
The diamond is set in a pendent in which it is encircled by sixteen white diamonds, indeed an excellent engagement ring for your loved one.
A similar distinction persists with pendant/pendent.
Inferred ancestral features include more than two whorls (or series) of tepals and stamens, stamens with protruding adaxial or lateral pollen sacs, several free, ascidiate carpels closed by secretion, extended stigma, extragynoecial compitum, and one or several ventral pendent ovule (s).