from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not yet decided or settled; awaiting conclusion or confirmation.
- adj. Impending; imminent.
- prep. While in the process of; during.
- prep. While awaiting; until.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of pend.
- adj. awaiting a conclusion or a confirmation
- adj. begun but not completed
- adj. about to happen; imminent or impending
- prep. While waiting for something; until.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not yet decided; in continuance; in suspension.
- prep. During.
- prep. Until; awaiting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Depending; remaining undecided; not terminated: as, a pending suit; while the case was pending.
- For the time of the continuance of; during; in the period covered by: as, pending the suit; pending the negotiation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. awaiting conclusion or confirmation
The hospital withheld her name pending notification of family members.
The public information officer for the Oshkosh police said during a brief news conference that detectives made a positive identification of a male recovered from the river, but were waiting to release his name pending notification and according to the wishes of his family.
Photo: #Former Republican Governor Arne Carlson came up with the idea for a nonpartisan summit of former and current lawmakers as a way for Minnesota to better understand what he describes as a pending "economic tsunami."
Dougherty was among roughly 300 people who turned out at the special budget meeting looking for answers from district officials, who have threatened to cut dozens of courses and teachers to stave off what they call a pending financial crisis.
Chase spokesman Tom Kelly said the company has requested that the courts not enter judgments in pending matters until the company has had time to re-examine the filings "to verify that the affidavits and other documents meet the standard of personal knowledge or review where that is required."
Among other things, the Justice Department argued that the decisions made by the two-member Board should be upheld, as otherwise decisions in pending cases could not be made.
The beef group has been fighting sweeping new rules on livestock marketing – which failed to pass in the 2008 Farm Bill, but are pending from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Her name also appears on substitute paperwork in pending foreclosure cases in Florida, according to court documents and lawyers representing the borrowers.
In addition to this litigation, decisions are still pending from the FAA on threats to aviation safety, and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court is due to rule this summer on a slew of potential permitting violations.
The NAR measured the highest growth in pending home sales in the South, with a 6.7% increase from last month, but is still 13% behind sales from last year.