from The Century Dictionary.
- Perch-like; perciform; of or pertaining to the Percoïdes or Percidæ, in any sense. A1so percoideous.
- noun A perch; any member of the Percoides or Percidæ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Belonging to, or resembling, the perches, or family
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of or belonging to
Percoidea, a taxonomic superfamily in the order Perciformes.
- noun Any fish of the genus
Perca, or allied genera of the family Percidae.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The nearest respectable sport for the fly or minnow man is with black bass, in the smaller lakes and connecting rivers within two or three hours 'railway journey; and there are six or eight other percoid forms such as striped, calico, and rock bass, and several of the sunfishes, all of which take a fly.
This is a percoid, _Serranus nigritus_ of Holbrook, and one of the very best table-fishes of these waters.