from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To carry on a sexual affair, especially an extramarital affair, with a woman one cannot or does not intend to marry. Used of a man.
- intransitive v. To engage in many love affairs, especially with a frivolous or casual attitude. Used of a man.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lover.
- n. A South American opossum, Didelphys philander.
- n. An Australian bandicoot, Perameles lagotis.
- v. To make love to women; to play the male flirt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lover.
- n. A South American opossum (Didelphys philander).
- n. An Australian bandicoot (Perameles lagotis).
- intransitive v. To make love to women; to play the male flirt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To play the philander; pay court to a woman, especially without serious intention; make love in a foolish way; “spoon.”
- n. A lover.
- n. In zoology, one of several different marsupial mammals.
- n. A flirtation; a philandering.
- n. Same as filander.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have amorous affairs; of men
- v. talk or behave amorously, without serious intentions
I hate to be the one to tell this woman that voles don't entertain thoughts of adultery, nor do they defend a lady vole's honor, nor do they "philander," because voles don't commit adultery, and they don't have honor.
Indeed 'philander', as a word rather than a name, has only negative connotations ...
But it was one thing to free a horse-thief, and another to stop and "philander" with him.
A constant rule of nature is that Politicians will philander, lie, cheat & steal.
Some psychologists, though, believe they can explain why there's a steady drumbeat of news about politicians who philander, cheat, attempt to seduce, or, as in Weiner's version of what happened, ignore the potential consequences and seriousness of what he considered harmless frivolity.
Now our television shows are filled with confused men and women who philander, masturbate, harbor homicidal thoughts if not actions, take drugs freely, have anonymous sex, sabotage others and abuse themselves.
Think I will philander or more seriously take up philately.
The missing philander with the bizarre camping trip story, proved once again that history has one helluva sense of humor.
College, often called "Philander College" (Web site: philander. edu).
Twentieth century feminism added another layer of condemnation: after all, why should men be allowed to philander while women were expected to remain faithful and stand by their (abusive, cheating) men no matter what?