from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To commit fornication.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shaped like or arch or vault; resembling a fornix.
- v. To commit fornication.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Vaulted like an oven or furnace; arched.
- adj. Arching over; overarched.
- intransitive v. To commit fornication; to have unlawful sexual intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arched; vaulted or arched over like an oven or furnace, concave within and convex without; hollowed out underneath.
- In bot.: Overarched with fornices, as the throat of the corolla of the forget-me-not.
- Overarching: as, a fornicate appendage. Also forniciform.
- To have illicit sexual intercourse: said of an unmarried person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have sex without being married
As for Paul, whose writings make up much of the New Testament outside the Gospels, I had been taught that the word sometimes translated as "fornicate" (porneia), which Paul uses quite a lot, frequently refers to premarital sex -- an assumption that's common in conservative Christian writings on this topic.
But in fact, Paul uses "fornicate" in myriad ways, and in only one verse -- I Corinthians 7: 9 -- does it seem to refer to sex before marriage.
Given that people were sharing cabins, some had opted to "fornicate" on deck in view of anyone walking past in the early hours of the morning, rather than disturb their cabin mates, he said.
And thank heavens they used "fornicate" in lieu of "fuck" in the above missive; otherwise, one might have considered this a bit off-color.
Roth had a very interesting and business-like approach to selecting the women he would fornicate with at concerts.
In Tarantino's Kill Bill, genres are mashed, smashed, and encouraged to fornicate in order to form whole new subgenres - it's a blend of action movie, anime, horror, graphic novel, cheesy samurai movie and Chinese shadow puppetry (i.e. the scene where Uma Thurman fights the bad guys/girls behind a screen in silhouette.)
HUFFPOST DC: BECAUSE THIS IS ACTUALLY A CITY, APPARENTLY - Washington, D.C. is so much more than a smattering of neoclassical and Beaux-Arts federal buildings in which socially-challenged poli-sci grads pretend to conduct the business of the nation and make plans to fornicate with one another after pro forma drinks following spectacles of middle school athletics.
Jane Leavy's ballplayers curse, fornicate, fight, drink, tell tasteless jokes and generally make Pete Rose seem like Cary Grant.
For example, feel free to repeat “the” and “and” and “fornicate” as many times as you like throughout your brilliant manuscript.
There are many people out there who are under the false assumption that our cowboys here in Texas like to fornicate with sheep.