from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A cautious gambler.
- n. Slang A person regarded as petty or stingy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soldier armed with a pike, a pikeman.
- n. One who bets or gambles only with small amounts of money.
- n. A stingy person; a cheapskate.
- n. An amateur.
- n. One who refuses to go out with friends, or leaves a party early.
- n. One who pikes (quits or backs out of a promise).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tramp; a vagrant.
- n. One who makes small bets all over the lay-out. See pike, intransitive verb, 2.
- n. On the stock-exchange, a professional speculator. See the extract.
- n. One who uses a pike or pointed implement; specifically, in the United States, in ice-harvesting, one who thus controls the movement of cakes of ice.
I've always thought Stevie was a kind of piker, that is that she would say she was going to do a thing, and then from sheer laziness not do it.
(_Trying to explain_) No, no -- a piker is a tin horn.
It would have horrified him to be called a piker, for his instincts were really lavish, and the economical habit an achievement in which he took a resentful pride.
I do not begrudge him is wealth (except he is known as a piker to boot); I excoriate the both of them for their two-faced-ness.
Or was he a "piker"; a little fellow, the victim of his own fears and vanities?
American is lavish, hates to stint, detests being a "piker", says, "Oh, what's the difference; it will all be the same in a hundred years," but kicks himself mentally afterwards.
It is not run for them, nor for the "piker," nor for the needy clerk, but for the furious spenders.
He had not the courage either to give his guests the excellent native claret where they had formerly enjoyed imported champagne or to appear a "piker" in the eyes of the far from democratic family butler.
He later upped his donation to $400,000 so he wouldn't look like a "piker" and "to stay in the game" because he said that this year's "stunning" donations were well ahead of what they collected last year.
Hoodathunk (sponsored by the FSM, Noodles for Freedom!) says: lux, grassley is a piker.