from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun Purification of impure metal, especially pig iron, by heating and stirring in an oxidizing atmosphere.
  • noun Compaction of wet material, such as clay, in order to make a watertight paste.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In hydraul, engin., the operation of working plastic clay behind piling in a cofferdam, the lining of a canal, or in other situation, to prevent the penetration of water; also, the clay or other material used in this operation.
  • noun The operation of transforming pig-iron into wrought-iron in a reverberatory furnace.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun The process of working clay, loam, pulverized ore, etc., with water, to render it compact, or impervious to liquids; also, the process of rendering anything impervious to liquids by means of puddled material.
  • noun Puddle. See puddle, n., 2.
  • noun (Metal.) The art or process of converting cast iron into wrought iron or steel by subjecting it to intense heat and frequent stirring in a reverberatory furnace in the presence of oxidizing substances, by which it is freed from a portion of its carbon and other impurities.
  • noun a reverberatory furnace in which cast iron is converted into wrought iron or into steel by puddling.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun The action of making a puddle.
  • noun The process of working clay, loam, pulverized ore, etc., with water, to render it compact, or impervious to liquids.
  • noun canal engineering The act of lining a canal with puddle to make it watertight.
  • noun metallurgy, historical The first true industrial process to produce steel from pig iron.
  • noun A group of mallards (ducks).
  • verb Present participle of puddle.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • When a butterfly lands on the ground and sips water from a puddle, it is called puddling. In hot summer weather groups of butterflies can be seen clustered on the ground and it is thought that this is because there is moisture near the surface in that area. This is also referred to as puddling.

    January 20, 2008

  • A collective noun. A puddling of ducks.

    March 15, 2013

  • What's the word for a group of butterflies? (The visuals on this page are great, btw.)

    March 15, 2013

  • A group of butterflies is called a rabble, and also a swarm, or lek.

    March 15, 2013

  • I was going to say pat.

    March 15, 2013