from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person or animal that has run away.
- n. Something that has escaped control or proper confinement.
- n. Informal An easy victory.
- adj. Escaping or having escaped restraint, captivity, or control: runaway horses; runaway children.
- adj. Out of control: a runaway car; runaway inflation.
- adj. Easily won: a runaway victory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or animal that runs away or has run away; a person, animal, or organization that escapes limitations.
- n. A train that is out of control.
- n. An object or process that is out of control or out of equilibrium.
- n. An overwhelming victory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, flees from danger, duty, restraint, etc.; a fugitive.
- n. The act of running away, esp. of a horse or teams.
- adj. Running away; fleeing from danger, duty, restraint, etc..
- adj. Accomplished by running away or elopement, or during flight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who flees or departs; a fugitive; a deserter.
- n. A running away, as by a horse when breaking away from control and bolting.
- n. One who runs in the public ways; one who roves or rambles about.
- Acting the part of a runaway; escaping or breaking from control; defying or overcoming restraint: as, a runaway horse.
- Accomplished or effected by running away or eloping.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. escape from the control of
- v. flee; take to one's heels; cut and run
- adj. completely out of control
- n. someone who flees from an uncongenial situation
- n. an easy victory
And you know, the left is cheering this as finally we're enforcing the law against what they call runaway companies, moving to other parts of the country.
ELLIOTT: Holton says it's time to stop policing the world and slow down what he describes as a runaway entitlement system.
Speaking to a record gathering at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, both decried what they termed a runaway expansion of government under President Barack Obama.
And they have hammered at the ballooning US national debt and what they described as runaway government spending, vowing to cut taxes and rein in Washington.
The group protested what they called runaway taxes and expansion of government services without thought to economic consequence.
They have been able to get their cost back in line, they've been able to grab the controls of what I classify as a runaway train and bring everything back under control.
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, D-N. D., and the committee's top Republican, Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N. H., introduced legislation that would create a bipartisan task force charged with making recommendations to Congress for reining in runaway spending growth that threatens to overwhelm the federal budget.
Last week, the top Democrat and top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee introduced legislation that would create a bipartisan task force charged with making recommendations to Congress for reining in runaway spending that threatens to overwhelm the federal budget.
In addition, I was haunted by a story I once wrote about a teen runaway from a loving family who came to a bad end while hanging out with her street kid friends.
Awful: Six-year-old trapped in runaway balloon; Update: Boy protected during home, found in a attic