from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- intransitive verb To breathe audibly through a runny or congested nose.
- intransitive verb To weep or whimper lightly with spasmodic congestion of the nose.
- noun The act or sound of sniffling.
- noun A condition, such as a head cold, accompanied by congestion of the nose. Used with the.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To snuffle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- intransitive verb Prov. Eng. To snuffle, as one does with a catarrh.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb intransitive To make a
whimperingor sniffing soundwhen breathingbecause of a runny nose.
- noun The act, or the sound of sniffling; the condition of having a
runnyor wet nose, as from a coldor allergies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of breathing heavily through the nose (as when the nose is congested)
- verb inhale audibly through the nose
- verb cry or whine with snuffling
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Except I think I am getting sick. * sniffle sniffle* Grargh. before | | this
Sadly, I'm starting to get them "sniffle, sniffle*, and I hope you all can help a little!
They suddenly heard a sniffle from the doorway and everyone looked up to see Jackie standing in the doorway to the control room.
I see the need (and remember well those scary years of having no health insurance -- not dragging the kids to the doctor for every sniffle, which is apparently the norm when insurance will pay the bill, facing hospital bills) ...
To my surprise, there were an awful lot of cocaine jokes last night, but the best was Farrell's quip that his sniffle was the result of a cold and not "that other thing, that it used to be."
On a budget-crunch. * sniffle* My next purchase will be Blaze of Memory. * sigh* So can't wait.
I @ you quite often but you never respond. * sniffle* It's okay.
If the President can convey such a patriotic sense of possibility with vigor and meaning, he just might make the Speaker sniffle as he sits behind him on the rostrum Tuesday night.
She made me sniffle, more often than once, usually during festive seasons.
Star Kissed was beautiful, Nalini, but also really kind of sad. * sniffle*