from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To make the hissing sound characteristic of frying fat.
- intransitive v. To seethe with anger or indignation.
- intransitive v. To be very hot: a summer day that sizzled.
- n. A hissing sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to make the sound of water hitting a hot surface
- v. to be exciting or dazzling
- n. the sound of water hitting a hot surface
- n. zing, zip, or pizazz; excitement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hissing sound, as of something frying over a fire.
- intransitive v. To make a hissing sound; to fry, or to dry and shrivel up, with a hissing sound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a hissing or sputtering sound, as a liquid when effervescing or acted on directly by heat; make a sound as of frying.
- To dry and shrivel up with hissing by the action of fire.
- To be very hot, as if hissing or shriveling.
- To dry or burn with or as if with a hissing sound: sometimes followed by up.
- n. A hissing or sputtering sound.
- n. Extreme heat, as of a summer day.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a sound like frying fat
- v. seethe with deep anger or resentment
- n. a sizzling noise
- v. burn or sear with a sizzling sound
*Thud… sizzle sizzle* …aifink yew has da freakwencees awf jes a itteh bitteh bit…. jes a guess doh…
Sci-fi tends to glamorize laser weapons (pew pew, you're dead), when in reality the experts say getting "shot" with will probably feel more like napalm (* sizzle sizzle*, protracted death).
Clearly, the one with the most pregame sizzle is option C.,
Their products don't have "sizzle" -- unlike complex financial instruments like collateralized mortgage obligations, initially created for the defunct Freddie Mac.
The presentations are followed by a 30-second "sizzle" - industry jargon for those all-important Saturday-morning commercials.
This teaser trailer should more accurately be called a sizzle reel, and you'll understand why once you've watched it, so without further delay, fire this baby up!
The sizzle is the key thing, not the steak, and if the steak is rancid you try a tastier sauce.
I do enjoy different "sizzle" levels, and, as others have said, it all depends on the book itself, how well it's done.
PR: It's funny but I've been working with Paul Simon recently, and I reminded him there was a certain "sizzle" cymbal that could be placed where "air" would be created, where the mind and emotions could feel it.
But Obama is keenly aware that in the end it's not just the "sizzle," it's the steak.