from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make silent or quiet.
- transitive v. To calm; soothe.
- transitive v. To keep from public knowledge; suppress mention of. Often used with up: tried to hush up the damaging details.
- intransitive v. To be or become silent or still.
- n. A silence or stillness, especially after noise.
- adj. Archaic Silent; quiet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to become quiet
- v. to make quiet
- n. A silence, especially after some noise
- n. A mining method using water
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To still; to silence; to calm; to make quiet; to repress the noise or clamor of.
- transitive v. To appease; to allay; to calm; to soothe.
- intransitive v. To become or to keep still or quiet; to become silent; -- esp. used in the imperative, as an exclamation; be still; be silent or quiet; make no noise.
- n. Stillness; silence; quiet.
- adj. Silent; quiet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To reduce to silence; make still or quiet; check or suppress the sound of.
- To appease; allay; calm, as commotion or agitation.
- In mining, to clear off (the soil and surface dirt), in order to expose the bed-rock, so that it can be ascertained whether there are indications of a vein or metalliferous deposit.
- To be still; be silent or quiet; make no noise.
- Forbear; be still; hist; attend.
- n. A state of stillness; profound quiet.
- Silent; still; quiet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become quiet or still; fall silent
- v. run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals
- v. wash by removing particles
- n. (poetic) tranquil silence
- v. become quiet or quieter
- v. cause to be quiet or not talk
If we get a really good title out, then expect me to reward the contributor (s) with a very special gift. * hush hush*
Plus shocking allegations from Nicole Brown ` s sister that the families were offered what she called hush money.
O.J. outrage, tonight an unbelievable new twist, shocking allegations from Nicole Brown ` s sister that the families were offered what she calls hush money from the people who put together Simpson ` s offensive confession TV special and book.
And it still -- what really bothers me is the harsh reality that over the past 20 years, the church is paid over $1 billion in what I call hush money to victims, to be quiet.
Any organization that can pass out hundreds of millions in hush-money can damn-well afford to pay taxes.
And when Ensign had his parents pay $96k in hush money.
They are all on facebook, myspace, etc … would be bound to run into too many people they know on POF so may prefer to use a pay site where it can all remain hush, hush.
After all, why wouldn't we wonder if the man behind wise crackin ', hush-yo-mouth Medea of many films and TV sitcom House of Payne can take on such fare as this?
If you are a republican and cry over money you are not a good republican or you have to pay a lot in hush money to cover your bad habits.
The 25k he ended up doling out, in hush money, if way too much low-balling it.