from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having acquired worldly knowledge or refinement; lacking natural simplicity or naiveté.
- adj. Very complex or complicated: the latest and most sophisticated technology.
- adj. Suitable for or appealing to the tastes of sophisticates: a sophisticated drama.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having obtained worldly experience, and lacking naiveté; cosmopolitan.
- adj. Elegant, refined.
- adj. Complicated, especially of complex technology.
- adj. Appealing to the tastes of an intellectual; cerebral.
- adj. Dishonest or misleading.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of sophisticate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ahead in development; complex or intricate
- adj. having or appealing to those having worldly knowledge and refinement and savoir-faire
- adj. intellectually appealing
They gutted the house in order to create what they describe as a sophisticated cottage with a European feeling.
Now that's what I call sophisticated argumentation!
The Spruce Pine-related losses follow North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper's June uncovering of what he described as a sophisticated real estate fraud involving a planned community, the Village of Penland, in the western part of the state.
He talked ant what he called the sophisticated design.
"It started here, absolutely," said Sir Brian Urquhart, a nonagenarian former under secretary general, recalling the birth of what he described as a sophisticated if entangled plan.
Mr. Tobok could not say for sure that the attacks, which he described as sophisticated, and which appeared to originate from Chinese computers, were in fact sanctioned by China's government.
We had a good moan at the supplier and the problem seems to have gone away ... now that's what you call sophisticated quality control Interested in this topic?
Google's new stance on China was triggered by what it described as a sophisticated computer attack orchestrated from within the country.
Google threatened this week to pull out of China after what it called a sophisticated hacking attack believed to be aimed at human rights activists.
MARCUS EINFELD, FEDERAL COURT JUDGE 1986-2001: We just can't tolerate a society which we call sophisticated and educated allowing our fellow citizens to live in these degrading circumstances, and I will not allow it to happen.