from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In sheep-husbandry, the removal of clotted or matted locks of wool.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb Present participle of tag.
  • noun The act by which something is tagged.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word tagging.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • I have a thing about tagging. I feel that a tag for a word in Wordie should be different from its definition. It should record a quality of the word that others might find useful in creating lists.

    For example, I tagged the word "flaccid" with "stiffness" since, by my way of thinking, flaccid is used to refer to stiffness (admittedly a low degree of stiffness).

    chained_bear thinks this is very odd. What do other Wordies think?

    November 11, 2007

  • I suppose the same logic applies to privatives: dark thereby warrants the tag light, cold gets heat, etc. And/or perhaps a generic privative tag.

    November 11, 2007

  • SoG, I wasn't trying to impugn your taggaliciousness! I just didn't understand why that tag was applied. But now you've explained it, so... thanks!

    November 11, 2007

  • Hmm...interesting method, SoG. I think it's a good idea. It was a bit jarring at first to see "stiffness" right up there with flaccid, to my eye--but it does get one to think. :-)

    November 11, 2007

  • Tags added in this way would almost make Wordie like a thesaurus, but much more inclusive than a conventional thesaurus.

    November 12, 2007

  • At some point, I suggested using a version of Roget's thesaurus, which is in the public domain, to provide more information to words. I don't really like tagging the opposite word as a regular tag, it is very confusing. If we had a separate "synonym" and "antonym" area, we could avoid this issue.

    November 12, 2007

  • I don't think of SoG as taggalicious so much as taghappy.

    November 12, 2007

  • You may be right! :-)

    November 12, 2007

  • In stamp collecting, phosphor material on stamps that's used to activate automatic mail-handling equipment. It may be in the form of lines, bars, letters, part of the design area, or the entire stamp surface. Tagging may also permeate the stamp paper.

    August 26, 2008