from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Taking a great deal or everything within its scope; comprehensive: an inclusive survey of world economic affairs.
- adj. Including the specified extremes or limits as well as the area between them: the numbers one to ten, inclusive.
- adj. Linguistics Of, relating to, or being a first person plural pronoun that includes the addressee, such as we in the sentence If you're hungry, we could order some pizza.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. including (almost) everything within its scope
- adj. including the extremes as well as the area between
- adj. of, or relating to the first person plural pronoun when including the person being addressed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclosing; encircling; surrounding.
- adj. Comprehending the stated limit or extremes; ; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Inclosing; encircling; comprehensive; in cluding: with of.
- Included in the number or sum; comprehending the stated limit or extremes: as, from Monday to Saturday inclusive (that is, taking in both Monday and Saturday).
- n. A term of inclusion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. including much or everything; and especially including stated limits
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In any society, there will be situations in which sociopaths (I use this term inclusive of "sociopaths and psychopaths" indicating varying types or degrees of the disorder) tend to feel more comfortable and congregate in greater numbers than usual.
The Cato Institute's David Rittgers detects a rhetorical shift from "assault weapons," which was always an arbitrary and fuzzy category, to "military-style weapons," which he says is potentially "a term inclusive of all modern firearms in a back-door attempt to enact a new gun control scheme."
The term "inclusive" is code for Republican light with a bid tent for gays, lesbians, transgenders, amnesty for illegal.
A chromosome having the standard sequence of regions labelled 1 to 7, inclusive, is shown on the left.
The resulting sum is called the inclusive fitness of the actor.
Including all things as games: inclusive is the alternative I guess, but is that useful?
Total external Left to right all inclusive is 53mm
Just being nice and inclusive is a fantasy and does not work.
Next, each of the six days from January 25 to January 30 inclusive is divided at noon.
Margoshia "Mimi" Donaldson, 19, who has Down syndrome, succeeded in inclusive classes at Parkville High School outside of Baltimore and is now a 2008 graduate planning to study at Towson University, The Baltimore Sun reports.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.