from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Up the stairs: raced upstairs.
- adv. To or on a higher floor: went upstairs to go to bed.
- adv. To or at a higher level: promoted upstairs to management.
- adj. Of or located on an upper floor: an upstairs bedroom.
- n. The part of a building above the ground floor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Up the stairs; on a higher floor or level.
- adv. In the brain.
- adj. located higher up a building.
- adj. a pitched ball that is high, and usually outside the strike zone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Upstairs in the Vocabulary.
- adv. Up the stairs; in or toward an upper story.
- adj. Being above stairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In or to an upper story: as, to go up-stairs.
- Pertaining or relating to an upper story or flat; being above stairs: as, an up-stairs room.
- n. An upper story; that part of a building which is above the ground floor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with respect to the mind
- adv. on a floor above
- adj. on or of upper floors of a building
- n. the part of a building above the ground floor
His side also got a lot of roof damage, so his upstairs is a big, fallen-plaster, mess.
"Is that your quarrel with what you call the upstairs god system?"
Meanwhile, the nice family living upstairs is starting to worry about the workaholic Dr. Jekyll.
The only way to get to the upstairs is byclimbing a ladder:
I just didn't want people knowing about my life, he explains as we sit in his office located just upstairs from the workshop.
"I just didn't want people knowing about my life," he explains as we sit in his office located just upstairs from the workshop.
I suggest you remain upstairs for the remainder of the night.
Since the upstairs is now 70% finished, I have begun demolishing the living room.
She waited for the elevator doors to creak shut, and she called upstairs:
The upstairs is over the garage, an added feature.