from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The canal through which urine is discharged from the bladder in most mammals and through which semen is discharged in the male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tube through which urine exits the body and, in males, through which semen is ejaculated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The canal by which the urine is conducted from the bladder and discharged.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A modification of a part of a urogenital sinus into a tube or a groove for the discharge of the secretion of the genital or urinary organs, or both; in most mammals, including man, a complete tube from the bladder to the exterior, conveying urine and semen in the male sex, urine only in the female; in some birds, a penial groove for the conveyance of semen only.
- n. the penis of any animal; in man, the spongy urethra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. duct through which urine is discharged in most mammals and which serves as the male genital duct
The urethra is a small tube that connects the bladder with the outside of the body.
The urethra is the small tube that connects the bladder with the outside of the body.
Calculi do not form so readily in women, for in them the urethra is short and wide, so that in them the urine is easily expelled; neither do they rub the pudendum with their hands, nor handle the passage like males; for the urethra in women opens direct into the pudendum, which is not the case with men, neither in them is the urethra so wide, and they drink more than children do.
In the female, the urethra is short and terminates in the vulva.
The female urethra is short and situated close to the faecal reservoir, explaining the much higher incidence of urinary tract infections in females compared to males.
Between your clitoris and vaginal opening is your urethra, and just above the urethra is your bladder.
I glanced quickly to the wall of the giant diagram of the male anatomy and I was reminded that the urethra is a miniscule tube through which I had always peed.
It was thick and black but neatly groomed, and it lay just below the very tip, as if the orifice of his urethra were a single nostril.
Although both semen and urine pass through the tube called the urethra in the penis, at the time of ejaculation the opening from the bladder is closed so that only semen comes out of the penis.
The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside.