from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Enthusiastic vigor and liveliness.
- n. Distinctive style or flair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Spirit, zeal, ardor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Ardor inspired by passion or enthusiasm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Ardor inspired by enthusiasm, passion, or the like; dash.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause)
- n. enthusiastic and assured vigor and liveliness
- n. distinctive and stylish elegance
French, from Old French eslan, rush, from eslancer, to hurl : es-, out (from Latin ex-; see ex-) + lancer, to throw (from Late Latin lanceāre, to throw a lance, from Latin lancea, lance).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French élan. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.