Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To choose; elect.
- n. One chosen; a person elected.
- n. A choice or select body; the best part: as, the élite of society.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A choice or select body; the flower.
- n. See Army organization,
- adj. selected as the best
- n. a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status
- Borrowing from French élite (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘élite’.
All these terms have a (different) American English equivalent. Wonder if you can identify them?
This list is my attempt to figure out The New Yorker's style and usage guidelines. It is based on reading articles within the pages of that venerable magazine and working backward. Feel free to add...
Looking for tweets for élite.