from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Apiaceae — the angelica and related plants.
- proper n. A female given name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An aromatic umbelliferous plant (Archangelica officinalis or Angelica archangelica) the leaf stalks of which are sometimes candied and used in confectionery, and the roots and seeds as an aromatic tonic.
- n. The candied leaf stalks of angelica.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of tall umbelliferous plants found in the northern temperate regions and in New Zealand.
- n. The popular name of the more common species belonging to the closely allied genera Angelica and Archangelica.
- n. [capitalized] The name of a kind of sweet white wine made in California.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aromatic stems or leaves or roots of Angelica Archangelica
- n. any of various tall and stout herbs of the genus Angelica having pinnately compound leaves and small white or greenish flowers in compound umbels
- n. candied stalks of the angelica plant
Church Latin angelica ("angelic"), or a Latinate elaboration of Angela. Name of a heroine in Ariosto's Orlando Furioso (1516). (Wiktionary)