from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two North American shrubs (Spiraea alba or S. latifolia) having umbel-shaped clusters of white flowers.
- n. Any of various perennial herbs of the genus Filipendula in the rose family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Eurasian perennial flowering plant of Rosaceae family, Filipendula ulmaria.
- n. A common name for the genus Spiraea of the Rosaceae family, native to the temperate Northern Hemisphere and consisting of about 80-100 species of shrubs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name of several plants of the genus Spiræa, especially the white- or pink-flowered Spiræa salicifolia, a low European and American shrub, and the herbaceous Spiræa Ulmaria, which has fragrant white flowers in compound cymes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any plant of the genus Spiræa, primarily S. Ulmaria of the Old World; in the United States more especially S. salicifolia.
Sorry, no etymologies found.