American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A Titan condemned by Zeus to support the heavens upon his shoulders.
- n. The satellite of Saturn that is second in distance from the planet.
- n. A person who supports a great burden.
- n. Greek mythology son of Iapetus and Clymene, war leader of the Titans ordered by the god Zeus to support the sky on his shoulders; father to Hesperides, the Hyades, and the Pleiades; king of the legendary Atlantis.
- n. astronomy a moon of Saturn
- n. astronomy a crater in the first quadrant of the moon
- n. warfare, US Intercontinental ballistic missile
- From Ancient Greek Ἄτλας, meaning "The Bearer (of the Heavens)", from τλῆναι (tlēnai, "to thole, suffer, endure, bear"). See tolerate. (Wiktionary)
- Greek; see telə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Saturday, January 30, 2010 ATLAS EXCLUSIVE: Obama Organizing in High School An Atlas reader, Chuck, has a student in the eleventh grade in an Ohio High School.”
“In Milton's MS. _Hesperus_ is written over _Atlas_: Spenser makes them daughters of Atlas, as does Jonson in _Pleasure reconciled to”
“This reminds me so much of the final days of the government in Atlas Shrugged.”
“Atlas is working with a 20-piece Turkish orchestra adept at both Arabic and Western classical music, as well as jazz.”
“Reviewer Banning Eyre says it's a subject that Atlas is uniquely qualified to take on.”
“John Atlas is author of a new book about ACORN, Seeds of Hope, published by Vanderbilt University Press.”
“That's why rockets shed stages (or engines as in Atlas) during ascent if their intent is to reach orbit.”
“Without the USAF sugar daddy, Atlas is taking away Delta IV missions.”
“The Atlas is the better of the two EELV's and it is not a big deal that Russian engines are used.”
“Man-rating Delta and/or Atlas is crucial, as is fully funding COTS-D.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Atlas’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Military aircraft are often given inspiring names. These are listed here.
The proper names of stars. Don't list people, people.
Key words of the Odyssey by Homer in English including all those famous repeating epitethons like
A list of mythological gods that people have worshipped throughout history (includes primordial deities).
They can be animate or inanimate (male or female). 2 syllables
Looking for tweets for Atlas.