American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- In the Bible, the Israelite judge and powerful warrior who was betrayed to the Philistines by Delilah.
- n. A man of great physical strength.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An appliance for loosening frozen logs by horse-power, consisting of a strong, heavy timber and a chain terminating in a heavy swamp-hook. The timber is placed upright beside the log to be loosened, the chain fastened around it, and the hook inserted low down on the opposite side of the log. Leverage is then applied by a team hitched to the upper end of the upright timber.
- n. A form of brace or stay, used in long and otherwise flexible machines to secure strength and rigidity under the stress of operation at high speed. Particularly used in such textile-machinery as roving-frames.
- In lumbering, to direct the fall of (a tree) by means of a lever and pole.
- n. biblical An Israelite judge in the Old Testament who performed feats of strength against the Philistines but was betrayed by Delilah his mistress.
- n. by extension Any very strong man.
- n. A male given name.
- n. An English surname derived from the given name.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An Israelite of Bible record (see Judges xiii.), distinguished for his great strength; hence, a man of extraordinary physical strength.
- n. (Old Testament) a judge of Israel who performed herculean feats of strength against the Philistines until he was betrayed to them by his mistress Delilah
- n. a large and strong and heavyset man
- Hebrew שִׁמְשׁוֹן "of the sun". Small Sun or from Shemesh-On literally, Force of the Sun. Akin to Nachshon Nachash = Snake or made of copper (Nechoshet) (is this where "copper head" comes from?) the addition of on may be a diminutive form. On (force or fortitude) may be an empowering addition. (Wiktionary)
“SAMSON AND DELILAH 1949 Lamarr ' s last really great film, made in glorious Technicolor, gave her the role she was born to play: Delilah, the Bible temptress who is the undoing of Samson.”
“SAMSON - Many around Samson knew Bruce Maloy as their town's comedian, a goodhearted, wiry little jokester who was always boasting about hitting it big someday.”
“SAMSON | Many around Samson knew Bruce Maloy as their town's comedian, a goodhearted, wiry little jokester who was always boasting about hitting it big someday.”
“I was reminded of the lines Milton gives to the Messenger in Samson Agonistes: "I sorrow'd at his captive state, but minded/Not to be absent at that spectacle.”
“Eisner Award-winning scribe Jeph Loeb, artistic legend While Portacio, inker Danny Miki and colorist Dean White, the truth behind Samson is revealed!”
“Friday at 7 p.m. "SAMSON AND DELILAH" Samson is kicked out of the shack where he lives with his brother, and Delilah's grandmother dies, leaving her without a home.”
“With Robbie Baldwin popping his cork, Normie has been forced to call in assistance, and Doc Samson is about to change the nature of the Thunderbolts dramatically by his very presence …”
“They end up getting into a one sided feud with drug king pin Samson Simpson (Clarence Williams).”
“I called Samson to tell him I would be away for the night and to watch the borders of the valley for strangers.”
“Samson is "Blind among enemies, O worse than chains.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Samson’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This started on Facebook, until yarb suggested an open list. Have at!
A caveat: There are other lists containing names we DON'T want to use. In case your twisted mind is bent that way,...
Looking for tweets for Samson.