from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek & Roman Mythology See Dionysus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Roman name for Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and vivid social gatherings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The god of wine, son of Jupiter and Semele.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In classical mythology, a name of Dionysus, the son of Zeus (Jupiter) and Semele, and the god of wine, personifying both its good and its bad qualities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (classical mythology) god of wine; equivalent of Dionysus
From the Latin Bacchus, from the Ancient Greek Βάκχος (Bakkhos). (Wiktionary)