from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Family of Venetian painters, including Jacopo (1400?-1470?), most of whose works have been lost, and his two sons, Gentile (1429?-1507) and Giovanni (1430?-1516). Giovanni, the most illustrious of the three, profoundly influenced the Venetian school of painting with his interest in light and color. His works include Saint Francis in Ecstasy.
- Bellini, Vincenzo 1801-1835. Italian composer whose operas include La Sonnambula and Norma (both 1831).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
- proper n. Vincenzo Bellini, Italian opera composer
- n. a cocktail made from Prosecco and peach juice
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Italian composer of operas (1801-1835)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
(Bellini is one of my favorites in this regard — how he can hang a theatrically effective musical flow on even his most ludicrous libretti.)
He was listening for the Italian's footsteps, but he never came, and one day Mr. Harry looked up from his newspaper and said, "Laura, Bellini is dead."
“She said it is not true and she wasn’t in Bellini,” her spokeswoman says.
The Bellini is my cocktail of choice, first enjoyed at Harry's Bar by me in the late 50s.
With a name like Bellini you think frothy, sweet, and peach colored.
The classic "champagne" cocktail known as the Bellini was invented around the corner by Giuseppe Cipriani, the founder of
Pople's exhibition, titled Bellini 21c, includes a work called Altarpiece in which the figures in the famous Bellini altarpiece in Venice are obscured by an image of a woman being penetrated from behind and having oral sex.
Confraternity of S. Girolamo also possesses a work with little figures by the same Bellini, which is much extolled.
"The Bellini is a fantastic product, a nice, pleasant aperitif," said Giustiani.
She too wished to be amiable and so she sang "Bellini," who was born here under Etna; "Bellini" whom we know by heart, note for note.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.