American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To set apart for a special purpose; designate: allocate a room to be used for storage.
- v. To distribute according to a plan; allot: allocate rations for a week-long camping trip.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To assign or allot; set apart for a particular purpose; distribute: as, to allocate shares in a public company.
- To fix the place of; locate; localize.
- v. To set aside for a purpose
- v. To distribute according to a plan
- v. computing To declare a section of the memory to be used by the program.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To distribute or assign; to allot.
- v. rare To localize.
- v. distribute according to a plan or set apart for a special purpose
- From Vulgar Latin allocare, from ad- ("to") + locus ("place"), plus Latinate English suffix + -ate. Compare allocable, without the -ate. (Wiktionary)
- Medieval Latin allocāre, allocāt- : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin locāre, to place (from locus, place). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“M 42.4 and then they go on to 'allocate' undecideds, by giving Obama 4%, McCain 2%.”
“Clinton and Obama have rejected calls from utilities and other businesses to "allocate" the initial polluting rights based on a company's current emissions.”
“An organization with a captive market could "allocate" its cost to another in the form of a "price" that the agency charged cannot control.”
“This nuance seemed to add considerably to the picture of Northern Ireland's population (though NISRA used some slightly questionable methodologies to 'allocate' those who resisted allocation).”
“Only the garbage collector can "allocate" objects in generation 1 (by promoting survivors from generation 0) and generation 2 (by promoting survivors from generations 1 and 2).”
“CASE IN POINT Obama tapped VP Joe Biden to "allocate" the stimulus $$trillions.”
“Strictly speaking, we allocate people to pews on the basis of the religious identification of the people, not on the basis of what pews they are actually sitting in.”
“Other governments have announced that they, too, plan to allocate millions of dollars to the poor; and Arab leaders are rushing to set up a $2 billion fund to support their economies.”
“But Baring said that even though investors are keen to allocate capital to its Asian fund, it might not be the right time to sign many more deals as competition heats up.”
“The level of priority a project is given, or the way a project is carried out should not depend on the amount of money the supporting organization or institution is willing to allocate to it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘allocate’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
there is going to be a lot of words...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Going through the Magoosh website, words I pulled from the verbal section. 2012.
My list of words.
List of most of the words I've learned
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for allocate.