American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In a frenzy to do violence or kill: rioters running amuck in the streets.
- adv. In or into a jumbled or confused state: The plans went amuck.
- adv. In or into an uncontrolled state or a state of extreme activity: "This jam-packed area of Honolulu has come to stand for tourist development run amok” ( Ila Stanger).
- adj. Crazed with murderous frenzy: amuck troops.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Literally, in a state of murderous frenzy; indiscriminately slaughtering or killing: a term used in the Eastern Archipelago. In English formerly as a noun, but now only as an adjective or quasi-adverb in the phrase to run amuck. Also written amock, amok.
- Hence — To proceed in a blind, headstrong manner, careless of consequences, which are most likely to be disastrous.
- [Sometimes written in two words, and treated as a noun with the indefinite article.
GNU Webster's 1913
- In a frenzied and reckless manner.
- adj. frenzied as if possessed by a demon
- adv. in a murderous frenzy
- adv. wildly; without self-control
- Malay amok. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think they are counting on the press and the distracted public to see "partisanship" running amuck, which is how the Republicans have already positioned themselves for the '06 elections.”
“What "amuck" we've run since needs much more space than I have here.”
“I fancied for awhile that one of their number must have run "amuck," and the rest meant to send him to slumber.”
“The claims, filed in Delaware Chancery Court, allege that recent developments at News of the World in the U.K. demonstrate "a culture run amuck within News Corp. and a Board that provides no effective review or oversight.”
“He has run amuck, harassing Latinos while generating lawsuits, investigations, and the ire of the Hispanic community.”
“I've half a mind to go back and run amuck, and settle for a few of them, the pigs!”
“All we can do is to guard the coast and keep them from breaking back on the plantation and running amuck.”
“Started amuck this morning, but didn't get very far.”
“Yes, even at 34 I like to run amuck naked …. in my apt.”
“Those analysts will be wrong, deregulation will find new friends in government, and the largest companies will continue to run amuck while the American people foot the bill.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘amuck’.
Words with the prefix "a"
Words used quite often in steampunk
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Words as I learn them.
Interesting words and usages.
My ever expanding vocabulary...
Looking for tweets for amuck.