American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several chiefly tropical American birds of the genus Crotophaga, related to the cuckoo and having black plumage and a long tail.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the genus Crotophaga, sub-family Crotophaginæ, and family Cuculidæ, inhabiting the warmer parts of America. There are several species, two of them inhabiting the United States. The black ani, Crotophaga ani, is about a foot long, entirely black, with violet, steel-blue, and bronze reflections; the iris is brown; the feathers of the head and neck are lanceolate; the crest of the bill is smooth or with few wrinkles; and the culmen is regularly curved. It is called in the West Indies the black witch and savanna blackbird, and is known to the French of Cayenne as boutde-setun. It occurs from Florida southward. Another species, C. sulcirostris, the groove-billed ani, is found in tropical America and northward to Texas. Its bill has three distinct grooves, parallel with the curved culmen. All are gregarious in habit, and nest in bushes, several individuals sometimes using one large nest in common; they lay plain greenish eggs, covered with a white chalky substance. See
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A black bird of tropical America, the West Indies and Florida (Crotophaga ani), allied to the cuckoos, having a compressed, bladelike bill and remarkable for communistic nesting.
- n. black tropical American cuckoo
- Portuguese or Spanish ani, both from Old Tupi. (Wiktionary)
- American Spanish aní or Portuguese ani, both from Tupi ani. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“March 22, 2006 at 1: 05 pm hi shane my mums a carer n wrked with a girl that used 2 live near u i think ur gr8 u probaly aint takin ani notice of this bt itz wrth a try tlkin 2 u plzz email me”
“Sinon aussi vous pouvez me faire un don a moi-meme par paypal ou cheque afin d'acquerir ma sublime BJD "Luts Delf Kid Boy" ani "" ...”
“It does still require the specially crafted ".ani" file to get onto the local system, but these days that still isn't that hard I don't think.”
“Chersi ` d 'ani'ptoisi Di leth'bein ai'thopa oinon”
“* Chersi ` d 'ani'ptoisi Di leth'bein ai'thopa oinon:  1”
“He mea pā'ani 'o ia no Lahainaluna, a ma ke kau nei i hala, he 15.3 āna' ai o ka ho'okūkū, a he 9.1 lālau.”
“There are all kinds of little anomalies like this in the Games; I had to play Football using androids termed ani - mals, with robots for referees. ”
“Yes | No | Report from mattreney wrote 36 weeks 4 days ago funny how no one is realy suprised at Obamas failure to act. now if it was the soldiers killing the ani-american of course we would hear about how outraged Obama is and it wouldnt just be a small write-up in the local paper”
“But hoda'ah is also associated with recognition of finitude, with recognition of our natural human limitations which should impel us to declare ani modeh or ani modah -- I admit to my failings.”
“Being a middle aged curmudgeonly old cynic I naturally find home in the ani-establishment camp.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ani’.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Awful attempts at humour, bad comic relief, unimaginative aliens, etc.
im trying to learn "evreet" desperately.. with the help of my orthodox bud chany. here's some conversational hebrew transliterated. feel free to add to the list.
Birds endemic to the United States and/or North America.
None of your "the" and "get" here. No, no. This is the place for auk and sty, and words of that ilk.
One might think that being limited to only three letters would prevent many words fro...
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
an exaltation of larks
Looking for tweets for ani.