American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Produced from within; self-generating.
- adj. Medicine Originating with the individual to which applied: an autogenous graft; an autogenous vaccine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as autogenous.
- Self-produced; self-generated; coming forth independently. Specifically, in anatomy, endogenous: applied to those processes or parts of a bone which arise from an independent or separate center of ossification, as distinguished from mere exogenous outgrowths. Thus, the epiphyses of a bone are autogenous; apophyses may be either autogenous or exogenous.
- Same as autogenic. Also autogeneous.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Biol.) Self-generated; produced independently.
- adj. (Anat.) Developed from an independent center of ossification.
- adj. Autogenetic.
- adj. originating within the body
“These are specialty shops area you can acquisition an arrangement of aged genitalia from exoteric things like wheels, hoods, grilles, and autogenous genitalia like dashboard instruments, aperture handles, and agent parts.”
“Evolution of intraflagellar transport from coated vesicles and autogenous origin of the eukaryotic cilium.”
“Due to the autogenous arrangement of the Castle, the Curator is restricted to a certain extent and had to settle for this type of exhibit.”
“North's Garden Furniture (Pty) Ltd (cast aluminium garden furniture) and Pilot Crushtec cc (vertical shaft autogenous crushers to recycle building rubble).”
“These latter mediate both a self-braking and a self-exciting (autogenous excitation) reflex action of the muscle.”
“Normally the proprioceptives of the contracting muscle put a brake on the speed of the contracting muscle (autogenous inhibition).”
“All organisms are in the last resort descendants of autogenous Monera, evolved as a consequence of the divergence of characters through natural selection.”
“In "autogenous soldering" two pieces of metal are united by the melting of the opposing surfaces, without the use of a separate fusible alloy or solder as a cementing material.”
“Oxy-acetylene autogenous soldering or welding is applicable to a great variety of work, among which may be mentioned repairs to shafts, locomotive frames, cylinders, and to joints in ships 'frames, pipes, boilers, and rails.”
“Dissolved acetylene is also very useful for acetylene welding or autogenous soldering.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘autogenous’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for autogenous.