from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A 13-year-old Jewish boy, considered an adult and responsible for his moral and religious duties.
- n. The ceremony that initiates and recognizes a boy as a bar mitzvah.
- transitive v. To confirm in the ceremony of bar mitzvah.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Jewish coming of age ceremony.
- n. Someone who has come of age.
- v. To initiate someone in a bar mitzvah ceremony
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Judaism) an initiation ceremony marking the 13th birthday of a Jewish boy and signifying the beginning of religious responsibility
- v. confirm in the bar mitzvah ceremony, of boys in the Jewish faith
Hebrew bar miṣwâ : Aramaic bar, son; see bn in Semitic roots + Hebrew miṣwâ, commandment; see mitzvah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Hebrew בר מצוה (Wiktionary)