from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An intense altercation.
- n. A battle involving many combatants.
- n. A fight to the finish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fight involving three or more people, fought until one person (or sometimes team or faction) is left standing.
- n. A heated discussion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contest with fists or cudgels in which more than two are engaged; a mêlée.
- adj. See under Battle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a noisy riotous fight
battle + royal, grand in scale.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)