from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, & Michigan See shivaree. See Regional Note at shivaree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bellowing, as of a deer in rutting time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In submarine operations, the use of the diving-bell.
- n. Formerly, bellowing; in modern use. the noise made by a deer in rutting-time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a noisy mock serenade (made by banging pans and kettles) to a newly married couple
From bell1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)