Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The melting of a wire or other electric conductor by an electric current of too great quantity.
- v. To extinguish due to lack of fuel.
- v. idiomatic To tire due to overwork.
- v. idiomatic To make (someone) unavailable for work involving exposure to ionizing radiation by employing (the person) in such work until the person's accumulated exposure reaches the maximum permitted for an administrative period, typically a year.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To burn till the fuel is exhausted.
- v. To stop functioning due to failure of some component caused by the heat of the electrical current used in its operation; -- of electrical devices.
- v. To become apathetic or depressed, and cease to function effectively, due to the fatigue and frustration of prolonged stress and overwork; -- of people.
- v. melt, break, or become otherwise unusable
“If I could burn out Anton's talent, maybe I could burn out my own.”
“Distantly, she wondered if they really had a chance, or whether the radiation from Angelmass would burn out their control lines — and them — before they could figure out which direction was the safe one.”
““Natural or not,” Er’ril said, raising his torch toward a tangle of web blowing out toward them, “a hot-enough fire can burn out any corruption.””
“Ranchers help prime the sprawling pastures by torching them to burn out prairie brush, clearing the way for stands of big bluestem and other grasses that are cheap cattle feed.”
“Fires, both the common orange and yellow flames of burning wagons and the unnatural green blazes that were the remnants of magic, were left to burn out on their own.”
“One must burn out the last vestiges of vanity -- and what else was suicide but an inverted form of vanity?”
“The Coast Guard cutter that had been monitoring the disaster threatened to burn out its own engines as it put on speed for Kahului Harbor, the medics on board doing their best to subdue the pain and keep their patient alive.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘burn out’.
words that describe my closet, your closet, her closet, his closet, anyones closet in the world.
Looking for tweets for burn out.