from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A North American wild duck (Aythya valisineria) having a reddish-brown head and neck and a whitish back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A North American wild duck, Aythya valisineria, popular as a game bird.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Species of duck (Aythya vallisneria), esteemed for the delicacy of its flesh. It visits the United States in autumn; particularly Chesapeake Bay and adjoining waters; -- so named from the markings of the plumage on its back.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A North American duck of the family Anatidæ and subfamily Fuligulinæ, the Fuligula (or Aristonetta) vallisneria, highly esteemed for the delicacy of its flesh.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North American wild duck valued for sport and food
Sorry, no etymologies found.